Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Interlude Five: What a Drag

Clink, clink, clink
            Jason played with the remaining ice in his highball glass while he waited in the Iceberg Lounge. The kid was late and it was his idea to meet at Penguin’s establishment. Why he wanted to talk in front of possibly most of Gotham’s rogues was beyond him. True, Jason had said he’d continue his operations in the underworld if only to take them down from the inside out, but it didn’t mean he wanted to hang around rogues unnecessarily.
            “Is this seat taken?” A soft alluring voice asked.
 He glanced up at the young woman who took the seat across from him. She wore the most evocative evening gown, her face was dolled up tastefully and her luscious curls hung softly around her bare neck. The only downside Jason noted was the lack of cup size. If she was a hooker, she won’t make much with such small assets.
            “I’m waiting for someone.” He commented, his eyes lingered on her. Something about her looked familiar. “Have we met before?”
            The woman smiled. “Oh you charmer you. You say that to all the pretty girls you meet don’t you?”
            “Sure lady, whatever you say.” Jason said dryly.
            “Well, why don’t we get to the point then?” The soft voice dropped a few octaves lower. “How much toys can you carry home today?” 
            Jason jumped at the familiar voice. “…Kid?”
            A bright smile appeared on the rosy painted lips. “Fool you didn’t I?” The voice resumed to a higher octave. “So how did I do? I had to ask my friends for help, but it’s a good right?”
            The former Robin stared at him in silence and disbelief.
            “What?” Terry tilted his head curiously. 
            “… You’re… cross-dressing.” Jason said with a red face.
            Terry frowned. “Is it that bad?” He turned and glanced over his clothing before he dropped his hands onto his lap in a lady-like manner
            Jason couldn’t take it any longer, he burst into a hearty laughter. “I-I can’t believe you.” He laughed and laughed until his sides stung.
            “… I didn’t think it would be that hilarious…” Terry murmured while Jason continued to pound the table laughing.
            Not long after, Penguin came to the scene and inquired about the noise. “Sir! You are disturbing my other patrons.”
            Jason stifled his laughter and raised a hand to grab Penguin under his arm fondly. “Ah, come off it Penguin. I’m about to leave with my lady anyway.” He slapped the man firmly in the back and knocked his monocle off his eye. “Come on sweet c-cheeks.” He went into another fit of laughter. 
            Terry smiled lightly as he stood and looped an arm around Jason’s. They left arm in arm with Jason leaning on the younger boy, his body still shook with laughter.
            “I can’t believe you came dressed like that.” Jason snickered long after they made it back to the car.
                  “Really, I don’t see what’s so funny.” Terry droned dully in the passenger.
                  “Man, I wish I brought a camera. Hey, think we could head back to my place for me to get my—”
                  Terry looked mildly annoyed. “Do you want the toys or not? I’m not going to show you to the drop off point if you’re going to be like this.” He huffed.
                  Jason stifled his laughter and waved a careless hand. “All right, all right, I’ll stop laughing, but what convinced you to come dressed like that of all things?”
                  “I don’t want to be recognized.” He crossed his arms.
                  “… That’s it? You cross-dress because of that? You could’ve just worn a hat and done some makeup. Considering you were pretty good with your current makeup.” He bit back a snicker.
                  “I wanted to see if I could pull off going around as a girl. Besides, as a girl, there’s a lesser chance for people to connect me to you.” Terry pointed out.
                  “Fine, fine whatever gets you off at night.” Jason said wryly.
                  “Yes, I believe it would.” Terry agreed.
                  Jason paused and glanced at the younger boy briefly. Did he not get his innuendo or is he really oblivious?
                  “Turn here.” Terry pointed a finger to the next corner.
                  Once parked, he led Jason towards a dead end alleyway. He pressed a brick on the wall a keypad flipped out. Terry promptly typed in the pass code before a passage opened up below them. Jason didn’t scream or yelp as they plunged down the dark passage. He was familiar with this particular bunker. It was one of Bruce’s backup caves.
                  Jason landed firmly with his feet to the ground, but Terry had some trouble as he stumbled over his heels. The older man snickered as he caught the younger boy. “Regret wearing heels yet?”
                  Terry huffed and composed himself. “There are heroines that could fight and succeed in heels. It’s just the matter of practice.” He grumbled as he smoothed the dress and walked towards the arsenal. “All right, back to business. This is only one of the bunkers I used to store the toys. I’ll be changing locations often just incase there’s a chance that they decide to use this particular bunker or the others.”
                  “Why would they use these bunkers? Scratch that, do they even know about these bunkers?” Jason asked.
                  “Dad has it on record, if they knew where to look they’ll find it. And it never hurts to be too careful. This should be enough to last you a while. Can you transport them back to your hideout?”
o.o.o.o.o
                  For the next two months, the two continued to meet at the Iceberg Lounge and later a bunker of Terry’s choosing. It wasn’t until the third month that Terry finally forgone the need to meet at the lounge and gave him a direct address to go to.
                  Jason raised a brow at the storefront. It looked run down just as much as the rest of the area. Instead of a large billboard with the name there was a scroll nailed to the door with the name and hours. Terry waited outside, dressed in casuals for once.
“I see you’re wearing pants.” Jason grinned as he watched the other rolled his eyes. He glanced to the sign with his hands in his pockets. “Since when did this area have a dojo?” Jason asked as he closed the distance.
                  “Since I came back,” Terry replied simply as he pulled out keys and opened the door for them to enter.
                  Jason followed into the dark store. “You’re telling me you’re running a dojo? I’ve seen your skills; they’re second-rate at best.” The room was pitch dark. “Turn on the lights would you?”
                  Silence.
                  “Kid?” He called out, but nothing.
                  A metal pipe whistled in the air. The former Robin quickly ducked and rolled away. When the pipe hit the ground, he pulled out his gun and readied to fire. Before he pulled the trigger, he felt a weight atop of his gun. He arm was pushed down and a pair of legs knocking him to the ground.
It all took no more than a few seconds before the light came on and he found a woman even more attractive than the cross-dressing Terry.  Her dark short feathery hair framed her face like a delicate art piece, her eyes sharp and dangerous. With a better look, he found the pipe pinned against his throat, but more importantly, her legs trapped him arms and body to the ground.
“Who are you?” The beautiful young woman snarled.
Jason stayed still and stared up at her lovely scowl. “… The idiot that died and went to heaven.”
“He’s not an enemy.” Terry’s voice drew their attention away from one another. “He used to be a Robin, Jason Todd. And she’s Cassandra Cain, former Batgirl.”
“He’s Red Hood, I’ve seen him before. A villain.” She started, but before she could go any further she felt a wandering hand grope her behind. Startled, she quickly punched Jason in the face for the assault.
Terry winced briefly at the punch. “Maybe you shouldn’t aggravate her.”
Jason smiled wryly as he held up his hands defensively, as much as he could with her still seated on top of him. “All right, all right, I’ll be good and keep my hands to myself.”
“Cassandra if you would?” Terry nodded to her to let the other up. She glared down at Jason as she climbed off and tossed the pipe aside. She didn’t need a pipe to disable him if she wanted. “This dojo is actually hers.”
“Why is he here?” She crossed her arms, her eyes never left Jason’s.
Terry smiled brightly. “I wanted to show him who I was learning from! He said my skills were second-rate! So I wanted him to see just what you can do!” Terry paused thoughtfully. “Well, that and I’m making Jason work for his toys. Since I have classes soon, I can’t really keep you company or show you around the area. So I’m having him do it.”
“Hey, I never agreed to this.” Jason protested.
Terry stuck his tongue out. “Well, you have to if you want the toys.” He turned to Cassandra with bright eyes. “Come on, it won’t be bad with him. If he tries to touch you again, you can easily break his arms right?”
“Hey! I’m a perfect gentleman.” Jason retorted. Cassandra gave him the eye as if she knew he was lying. “Fine, I could play a perfect gentleman.”
“So I can trust you to familiarize Cassandra with this area’s day activities?” Terry said eagerly he rocked back and forth on his feet.
“Yeah, yeah, I said I could at least act like a gentleman didn’t I? What time’s your class kid?” Jason asked as he jumped up from the ground and patted away the dust from his clothes.
“Soon, actually I have to get going. Here are all the things Cassandra need to get done and the money. Don’t you dare try to scam her!” He handed Jason a list and a wallet before he hurried out the
door. “I’m off now! Good luck!”
The door swung shut. Cassandra and Jason waited for a moment before either of them spoke.
“He’s a bad liar isn’t he?” Jason sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, beautiful where do you want to go? I’ll be your humble chauffer today.” He grinned wryly.
Cassandra rolled her eyes as he opened the door for her and they both walked out. As they strolled along, the two noticed someone trailing after them. Specifically, a poorly hidden Terry who stalked them like a puppy who was told to stay.
“Should we blow his cover?” Jason asked in amusement as they walked side by side.
“Let him, good practice.” She replied.
“Whatever you say.” He murmured and pulled out the list, while small, it unraveled to a long list filled with numbers and brand names from groceries to hardware. “… The hell?” He unraveled the list some more and found an explanation on the bottom on over buying would result in spoilage or overcrowding.
“Something wrong?” Cassandra asked.
Jason showed her the abnormally long list. “Is it really necessary for him to be this detailed? The kid is like his old man! You could decide whether or not you want to get something can’t you?”
Cassandra didn’t look at him as she muttered. “I don’t know what to buy.”
“Don’t know what to buy?” Jason said in disbelief. “Just buy what you like. Why are you letting the kid boss you around in this stuff? You can kick his ass.”
She flushed red and made a grab for the list. “Give me list! I can do this myself!”
Jason held the roll away at arm’s length and raised a brow. “I think you’re hiding something.”
“I am not.” Cassandra retorted and continued to grab for the list.
The other grinned. “No, I think you really are hiding something. Come on, tell me. I won’t laugh.”
She growled and twisted his arm behind his back. “I will not be made fun of.”
“Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!” Jason grimaced as she shoved his arm back. “I’m not making fun of you!”
“I’ve taken down people worse than you and people who aren’t even a challenge. I don’t know how you were beaten by the Joker.” She glared down at him.
“… You did something to the Joker?” He asked, highly interested, completely forgetting that he was held in a compromised position.
“I said he was boring and he tried to attack me, but that man is weak. Barely a challenge.” She said.
 “I think I’m in love.” Jason sighed, he startled Cassandra in loosening her grip. He made a quick turn and a silly grin. 
o.o.o.o.o
                  Terry smiled giddily at the interaction between the two.  At first he was worried that neither of them would get along, but his worries were unfounded. He was tired of changing their rendezvous point every week. It was definitely more convenient to dump the arsenal with Cassandra and have him pick it up there, but what just happened was better than he expected. With Jason pining for Cassandra, they could slowly manipulate him to better himself and stray away from the dark road he chose.
He wanted to stay longer and watched the two, but unfortunately the Ivys called about a certain stalking problem named Robin.
“What a drag.” He murmured to himself as he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment